Re: 1.5.18: suppressing non-C language checks / pass flags to cc in link

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 1.5.18: suppressing non-C language checks / pass flags to cc in link mode
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:15:12 +0100

* Mike Frysinger wrote on Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 09:40:43PM CET:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 12:06:40PM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> > Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > This is a more relevant post:
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-08/msg00137.html

Well, yes, but it also shows a workaround only, not the solution from
HEAD.

> that looks nice ...
>
> to be clear, does cvs HEAD (aka 2.0) support this feature ?  there's
> two things i'm after ...
> - do not error out if C++ is not detected and C++ is not required

Yes, works in HEAD.

> - do not even include extraneous language checks (CXX/F77/GCJ)

Yes, works in HEAD.

> i was told the first one was fixed in cvs HEAD, but i'm not sure of
> the status of the second one ...

Both work, and both work without any workarounds on user side.

I've looked a bit, and the solution in HEAD is a bit involved.
So I myself won't invest the work to backport that, it's probably
about as much work (hopefully) to fix the remaining HEAD issues..