usage of config.rpath

From: Klaus Heinz
Subject: usage of config.rpath
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:24:19 +0100

Hi,

the opensc project (www.opensc.org) uses libtool and libltdl in one of
its libraries "openct".
During the configure stage (running on NetBSD) I saw this

  checking for shared library run path origin... /bin/sh: Can't open
./config.rpath
  done
  checking how to link with libltdl... -lltdl
  checking ltdl.h usability... yes
  checking ltdl.h presence... yes
  checking for ltdl.h... yes

The file config.rpath is not included in the archive so it cannot be
found.
I asked on the opensc mailing list about this behaviour but nobody
really knew whether this is correct or not with respect to
libtool/libltdl. It seems to work on Linux, Solaris and *BSD, so it
cannot be a critical error but I still wonder...

Openct uses a macro call AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS(ltdl) in its configure.ac
which in turn uses AC_LIB_RPATH, both defined in acinclude.m4. As far as
I understand it, those macros are used in order to determine the flags to
correctly link with libltdl, even one platforms with exotic requirements
(eg, AIX).

Other packages I looked at (graphviz and kaffe) either have an empty
file (graphviz) or provide a script config.rpath with their software.
The latter seems to come from the gettext package.

Should the opensc software ship a file config.rpath if they use those
macros mentioned above? Where is the definite source for config.rpath?
From searches on the web it is not clear to me which project is
responsible for all this (libtool, autoconf, gettext, ?).

ciao
     Klaus