Preloading without .la

From: Pierre Ossman
Subject: Preloading without .la
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:36:05 +0100

I've been trying to use ltdl preloading without having any .la files, something that doesn't currently seem to be supported. I'm willing to implement a fix, provided a way out is presented.

The problem is that preloaded modules are given their static lib name, "foo.a". When loading the module, ltdl searches for "foo.so" and "foo.la". If "foo.la" exists, then "foo.a" will be found since that is the name in the "old_library" field of the la-file.

I see two possible solutions to get things working smoothly:

 * Add the suffix of static libs to the ones searched for by libltdl.
   Currently this includes ".la" and that of shared objects.
   Since this is platform and/or compiler specific it might be a pain
   to get working everywhere. It's still solvable by doing it as we
   encounter the problems.

 * Use the dynamic prefix for the name embedded in the preload module.
   I.e. do a 'sed s/$(STATIC_EXT)\$/$(SHLIB_EXT)/' on the name as it is
   being embedded. Not sure what the obstacles are here. Perhaps some
   problem with breaking existing hacks.

Comments welcome.

--
Pierre Ossman                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com