Re: do I need to find nm and ar if I am using libtool?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: do I need to find nm and ar if I am using libtool?
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:46:38 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 05:02:05PM CET:

> If I am using libtool, do I need to find nm and ar myself on the build
> system?

No.

> Or libtool will find these automatically, and fail if they are not
> there?

It will honor $AR and $NM, if those are set.  It will search $PATH for
suitable tools, including tools prefixed with $ac_tool_prefix (for cross
compilation).  For `nm', it will also check a couple of extra paths
typical for some systems.

You (as a package maintainer) should not have to do anything.  For very
unusual setups, the user (the one that types ./configure) may have to
adjust.  For unusual systems, too, but then we're happy about a bug
report or patch.