Re: libtool documentation license: Debian, the GFDL and the DFSG.

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: libtool documentation license: Debian, the GFDL and the DFSG.
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:04:25 -0800

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Kurt Roeckx wrote:

I know very little of how the FSF works.  From what I understand
the FSF is copyright holder, and all contributers have assigned
copyright to the FSF.  The copyright statement also only mentions
the FSF.

The documentation does mentions 4 authors.  It would be nice if
they could agree to it also.  But I have no idea what legal
rights they have to publish this under a different license.

You are correct that all libtool maintainers and major contributors have signed a contract which assigns rights to the FSF. Since the FSF owns the work, the FSF would need to make the decision.

And, separately, on the project managers' list, the answer seems to be,
"The GFDL is the way we want it and we do not want to dual license."
IOW, the docs will need to go into the "non-free" section of Debian.

:(  - Bruce