Re: Spaces in path names

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Spaces in path names
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:17:10 +0100

* Roger While wrote on Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:06:23PM CET:
> Actually on Cygwin (and MingW) this whole thing is caused
> by the following lines in ltmain.sh :
>
>       -L*)
>         dir=`$echo "X$arg" | $Xsed -e 's/^-L//'`
>         # We need an absolute path.
>         case $dir in
>         [\\/]* | [A-Za-z]:[\\/]*) ;;
>         *)
>           absdir=`cd "$dir" && pwd`
>
> And there is the probem.
> Replacing that last line with a simple absdir="$dir"
> and, what do you know, everything works as it should.
> Of course, leaving as original, it is a heck of a problem
> trying to trace further usage of absdir and dir.
>
> THe question is, of course, what is the downside
> of this change (locally for our product).

That depends on many factors.  There are so many different use cases.
For example: if you install your library, and the relative path was
pointing in the build tree, it will be nonsensical.  But even earlier,
within libtool, there'll be issues when comparing paths.

All in all, if you use it with a library that will be installed and
used by third parties, you are potentially breaking functionality for
them, too.  So please don't do it; you won't be the one working on
bugs reported by those third parties against libtool on its mailing
lists because of this change, and we have enough troubles hunting
down elswhere-induced failures already.