Re: 1.5.22 fails to configure on AIX 5.1

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: 1.5.22 fails to configure on AIX 5.1
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:59:54 +0100

Hi Howard,

* Howard Chu wrote on Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:04:51AM CET:
> Something in AIX's /bin/sh is misbehaving; the output from setting -xv
> on the shell shows chunks of the script are actually missing. If bash is
> used to invoke the top-level configure script, that seems to run OK but
> then the libltdl directory also fails unless you set CONFIG_SHELL to
> bash as well. (In other words, using bash exclusively seems to work.)

Quoting CVS Autoconf docs:
| -- Variable: CONFIG_SHELL
|     The shell with which to run `configure' for the `--recheck'
|     option.  It must be Bourne-compatible.  The default is a shell that
|     supports `LINENO' if available, and `/bin/sh' otherwise.  Invoking
|     `configure' by hand bypasses this setting, so you may need to use
|     a command like `CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash ./configure' to
|     insure that the same shell is used everywhere.  The absolute name
|     of the shell should be passed.

But I now see that the need to put CONFIG_SHELL before `configure' has
not been updated in all instances in the documentation; I'll propose a
fix.

> I guess the first noticable failure is in trying to detect the maximum
> length of a command line:
*snip*
> It appears to completely ignore the "while" clause.

To reproduce this, I'd need to know your login shell, the value of
$SHELL, the command line you used to configure libtool, and how the
failure may be recognized.

I cannot see any failure on both powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0 and another AIX
5.3.  My login shells are zsh and bash, respectively, configured without
any options (which will find GCC in one case, and the native cc in the
other).  The output you mentioned gets me
| checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 8192
with no suspicious stuff around that either, the shell `configure'
settles on is /bin/sh.