Re: DESTDIR install and OpenBSD

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: DESTDIR install and OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:14:08 +0100

Hi Carlo,

* Carlo Contavalli wrote on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 12:42:15PM CET:
> Hello,
>   I have two libraries: libtesta and libtestb. libtestb depends
> upon libtesta. The compilation process is fine. If I make install,
> it seems ok. However, if I:
>
>   make install DESTDIR=/tmp/root.openbsd/
>
> On linux it seems to work ok, with a couple warnings. On OpenBSD,
> libtool returns the error:

Please rerun the relink with --debug added (add it manually to the
respective line in the uninstalled libtestb.la file).  Also please
post `../../libtool --config' (preferably packed).

Please also show how you configured the package.

> gcc -shared  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/libtestb.so.0.0  .libs/test1.o
> .libs/test2.o /usr/local/lib/libtesta.so.0.0

Yeah, most likely part of the problem is a bug I introduced right before
1.5.22.  But there might be more issues to it.

> Am I doing something wrong? Or should I report this as a bug?

Let's see.

> should I really
> add libtool --finish /usr/local/lib to the Makefile?

Well, it can't really be added to the Makefile (because that won't see
the DESTDIR path in its final location: when /usr/local/lib is really
where the system sees these libraries).  This warning may not apply to
you in this case; but in some cases `libtool --finish' is really
necessary: for example to run `ldconfig' or similar, if you're
installing system libraries.