Re: DESTDIR install and OpenBSD

From: Jacob Meuser
Subject: Re: DESTDIR install and OpenBSD
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:16:22 -0800

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 02:27:42PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Jacob,
>
> * Jacob Meuser wrote on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:57:03AM CET:

> > > Please rerun the relink with --debug added (add it manually to the
> > > respective line in the uninstalled libtestb.la file).  Also please
> > > post `../../libtool --config' (preferably packed).
> > >
> > > Please also show how you configured the package.

> > > Yeah, most likely part of the problem is a bug I introduced right before
> > > 1.5.22.  But there might be more issues to it.
> >
> > this is a long standing problem, actually.  it is related to
> > hardcode_direct=yes.  there is a workaround in OpenBSD's libtool port
> > for about 1.5 years:
>
> It's a workaround.

agreed.  it is a relatively cheap "fix".

>  If `$libdir/$linklib' happens to actually exist but
> be the wrong thing, it fails to work around;

true.  however, this is really close to the same problem as already
exists wrt library search paths.  so it's not creating any more of
a problem than already exists.  will need to be reexamined soon
though :)

> if it does not exist,
> libtool fails to add hardcoding for the respective library, resulting in
> execution startup failure.

it's not a problem on OpenBSD, because OpenBSD doesn't rely on the
path being hardcoded.  in fact, it it preferred that the paths are
not hardcoded.

> > I have brought this up here before ...
> >
> > http://www.archivum.info/address@hidden/2004-11/msg00481.html
>
> You brought it up there, but the cited thread actually deals with a
> slightly different problem, IIRC.

yes.  I did bring it up on it's own at some point, but I did not
find that message in the archives (didn't look all that hard).

--
<address@hidden>