Re: per-deplib static/dynamic flags

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: per-deplib static/dynamic flags
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:39:02 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Albert Chin wrote:

Good.  GCC uses -B to mean something else.  So -Bstatic is a
linker-only option.  It is likely useful to use something new which
won't be confusing due the different meaning between GCC and ld.

How about -static-only and -shared-only?

Note though that Ralf has -Bstatic defined as:
 If @var{output-file} is a program, prefer linking statically
                                     ^^^^^^

This is not -Bstatic under Linux according to ld(1). If this is what
is intended, then -prefer-static is back :)

There is something else we have not considered. How is all this going to mesh properly with autoconf configure?

I would love to be able to supply LDFLAGS options to configure and have them work appropriately within the configure script, and then work similarly for libtool. If the options do not work in LDFLAGS, then it will be necessary to pass them explicitly via the Makefile.

In this case

 -Wl,-Bstatic

may work better even though it is more obtuse.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn