Re: static lib containing backends

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: static lib containing backends
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:13:22 +0100

* Yannick Lecaillez wrote on Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:15:30AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> >Likely for the full solution you will need to wait for libtool-2.0 (or
> >use the CVS version).
> >
> Argh, its not really possible. My bootstrap script execute libtoolize
> and then we're host dependent. And i wouldn't provide specific libtool
> with our package ...

Understood.  Then you'll just have to wait until it's ready,
unfortunately.

> >Well, you can help with testing if you want.  Say so and I can probably
> >enumerate what needs to be done.  (Not for the faint of heart though.)
> >
> I liked to but, honestly, my project just use libtool. My project isn't
> to "debug" libtool. Moreover i haven't got any Win32 at home :-)
> But if one of these day i'm borring at job place, i'll install Visual C on
> one of these computer and just test stuff. Btw, i don't really understand
> why this "little" piece of code libltdl is simply don't compile on Visual ?
> (perhaps because i never opened Visual ? :-))

It's not really libltdl that needs changes for MSVC.  The libtool script
itself does (more precisely: the ltmain.sh file from which it is
created).

> The fact is tried lot of things and noone works nicely. Its why in our
> project we just override libtool stuff : static lib are only build using
> autotools and home made libloader.

OK.

> As i understand, there isn't good solution at this time. Some exist but
> require a not released version. Its a bit sad :-(.

Oh well.  There exists a workaround you can use.

> Libtool rest a great piece of software and as for all good software, we
> expect a lot of it perhaps too much (is there a TODO about allowing libtool
> to make coffee ? ;-)).

http://tkd.kicks-ass.net/GnuLibtoolProject/RoadMap is quite long, if
that is what you mean.