Re: Setting environment variable in libtool wrapper?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Setting environment variable in libtool wrapper?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:42:17 +0100

Hi Geoff,

* Geoffrey Hutchison wrote on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 11:07:57PM CET:

> This may sound like a strange request, but for my project, libtool is
> used to generate the shared libs and binaries using automake. We also
> generate a series of plugins as shared modules (with -module). We
> have our own dlopen routines, so we don't use libltdl.
>
> In particular, our loader routines will check an environment variable
> for a list of directories to search. This enables us to easily load
> the modules from the build directory.

Would it also load modules without specifying a directory?  IOW: would
adjusting the uninstalled program's DT_RPATH (or equivalent) or
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or equivalent) be sufficient, too?

> What I'd really like to do is to set this environment variable inside
> the libtool wrapper generated for each binary. The default value can
> easily be determined at ./configure time.

If above would suffice, that would be good.  I plan to add functionality
(post 2.0) anyway to specify
- add this directory to the list of uninstalled directories to be
  searched by the link editor
- add this directory to the list of uninstalled directories to be
  searched by the runtime linker and module loader

With those two new flags, it would be possible to seamlessly support
mixing of libtool libraries and non-libtool libraries in one build, as
well as libltdl modules and non-libltdl modules.  I think.  GCC needs
the former, for example.

I can't really offer you anything better at the moment, sorry.