Re: RPATH on x86_64?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: RPATH on x86_64?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:21:03 +0100

Hi Pierre,

* Pierre Ossman wrote on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:15:34AM CET:

> I've noticed that when I do a build on x86_64, RPATH gets set in the
> binaries. This does not happen when I build on x86, so it seems it's
> libtool (perhaps as a result of autoconf, but still) that decides to do
> this.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=multilib&submit=Search%21&idxname=libtool&max=20&result=normal&sort=score
Several of these are interesting.

> I've looked through the code but it's a bit hard to read.

Why do you think the code is hard to read?  ;-)

> So I was
> hoping someone could explain in plain English how it's supposed to work. :)

In theory: no run paths for paths that the runtime linker searches by
default.  Otherwise, rpaths for all libraries we link directly against.
(Omitting the minor detail that we care about the difference of
uninstalled vs. installed locations, for simplicity.)

Now, in theory, theory and reality are the same.  And all GNU/Linux
distributions have the same multilib layout. :-/