Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies

From: Magnus Lie Hetland
Subject: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:45 +0100

Hi!

I'm writing a C++ library along with a wrapper for Python (generated by SWIG), and I'm using Autotools for building it all. The way I build it, I have one core library, of the form libfoo.la, and one wrapper library, _foo.la. The _foo.la library (or, rather, _foo.so or the like) will be dynamically loaded into the Python interpreter.

This seems to work nicely ... mostly. But the problem is that I write my test suite in Python, so I need to dynamically load _foo.so before installing, and that doesn't seem to be altogether straightforward. The problem is (as I'm sure you already understand) that _foo.so refers to the libfoo.la file -- but at the -rpath location.

I see that Libtool goes to great lengths to have things work before installing -- but I haven't been able to make it do what I need. The automatic relinking of executables, for example, doesn't apply. I had some hopes when I discovered the --enable-fast-install=no option, but that didn't do anything either, as far as I can see. When I came across the following quote in the manual, I was rather discouraged: "In the current implementation, libtool libraries may not depend on other uninstalled libtool libraries."

Does this mean that I can't do what I'm trying to do -- that is, that there is no switch or mechanism in Autotools (or, more specifically, Libtool) that will make it work?

If so, what would be the "best" approach to get a similar effect? I can see a couple of possibilities, at least:

  - Statically link _foo.la with libfoo.la, so there is no dependency
    (but a *slight* bloat :)

- Do some Automake magic (or just add some instructions to the README file, though that would break distcheck) to run configure and install in a
    sandbox before testing (rather cumbersome)

Any other suggestions or input?

--
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org