Re: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Uninstalled interlibrary dependencies
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:44:22 +0100

* Magnus Lie Hetland wrote on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:30:55PM CET:
> On Mar 14, 2006, at 14:24, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> >
> >Magnus,
> >You'll need to run the python interpreter with the "right" env vars
> >set.
> >For Mac OS X, env DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/uninstalled/library
> >python
> >foo, for linux LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/uninstalled/library python
> >etc..
>
> Ah. Thanks -- that worked. I didn't think that would work when -rpath
> was used -- I guess I should have checked :)

Well, as shlibpath_overrides_runpath=yes on darwin, it will cease to
work if you have a run path pointing to _installed_ modules, and there
are actually some old ones hanging around there.

> >Libtool usually generates a wrapper script for uninstalled programs,
> >unfortunately, it can not do so for python or other interpreters.
>
> I see. But is there any support functionality for this sort of thing?
> Any way of finding a platform-independent (sort of) environment
> variable, for example?

You can
  eval `./libtool --config | grep "^shlibpath_var="`

then $shlibpath_var will be the right name.

> It seems a bit "icky" to use Autotools, and then to slap on an if
> statement to choose between DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH...
> (I guess this might be in the docs, though. I'll have another look
> there.)

Well, making this better is a TODO item.  I'm collecting use cases at
the moment..