Re: libtool shared libraries support on skyos

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool shared libraries support on skyos
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:43:51 +0100

Hi Peter,

* Peter Speybrouck wrote on Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 05:24:13PM CET:

> I am actually not familiar with using libtool myself, but there is
> something that bothers me and I would like to know how I can fix it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> * Platform: SkyOS, (www.skyos.org), nothing to do with linux or unix
> in case you wondered
> * configure:

> configure:9287: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
> configure:9289: result: no

> So libtool does not support shared libraries on skyos.

That's right.  Libtool has not yet been ported to SkyOS.
Is it similar to Cygwin or some other w32 system?

> * What do I need to do/find out to get libtool to support shared
> libraries on this platform?

Depends on whether you want to do the port yourself or want somebody
else to do it for you.  For the former, it's helpful to study the
Libtool documentation, and then dive into libtool.m4 and search for
PORTMEs.  Then add corresponding sections there.  The file may look
a bit (warning -- understatement!) confusing, if you have questions
feel free to ask.

If the latter: we could do such a port, probably.  It will likely take a
little while until I could get to it -- I've a backlog of other stuff.

In any case, providing good, detailed documentation helps a lot.  About
the system, the linker, the runtime loader, library path and library
naming conventions, versioning, inter-library dependency handling, etc.
It helps to copy off of a similar system.

I found this: http://www.skyos.org/?q=node/469 but that is very terse,
to say the least.

For testing, shell (ssh) access to a system would help enormously.
If that is not possible, someone with some patience and willingness to
run test suites helps, too.  :-)

> * I can manually make dll files, but it would be nice if libtool could
> do this for me

Show us how.  Is there a way to work around the command line length
limit (if there is one) in the linker, like response files, or linker
scripts?