Re: [article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-co

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: [article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-config
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:48:25 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi John,
>
> * John Calcote wrote on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 02:23:27AM CET:
>>
>>    http://jcalcote.wordpress.com/2006/03/24/autotools
>
> | My personal gripe with autotools is the stunning lack of good
> | documentation for the high-level concepts of this set of tools.
>
> If you are looking for a newer overview-style documentation, please take
> a look at
> http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Alexandre.Duret-Lutz/autotools.html
> which, despite being a tutorial, contains quite high-level passages.
>
> Other than that, the documentation of the individual Autoconf, Automake,
> and Libtool packages have improved somewhat in the CVS HEAD tree over
> the last stable versions; granted, much of that is what you would call
> lower-level documentation.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

I think the documentation is really just fine. But there is a LOT of
detail, and it's hard to take it all in.

There are several tutorials out on the web, but they can be confusing
because they don't always represent the best way of doing things, as
they may be quite old.

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden