-rpath problem , relative paths not allowed

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: -rpath problem , relative paths not allowed
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:59:22 -0800

as I understand it the -rpath arguement to libtool is actually the
installation path of the shared object. I need that to be a relative
path.

The reason it needs to be relative is because the shared object is going
into a .jar file, so an absolute path is meaningless for the loader.

my install target serves no other purpose than to assemble the contents
of the .jar file before running the jar command.

Maybe I can pass it an absolute path formed by the build dir, plus the
relative directory I actually want it to install to. But I am afraid
that libtool has overloaded -rpath , and makes assumptions about what
that is, beyond a install path to put the file. Why else would it care
if it's relative or absolute ?

My question is this: can I pass an -rpath as a installation path without
 that path showing up in my shared objects post compilation/link ?