Re: libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CC'

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CC'
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:09:52 -0700

Tomislav Par?ina wrote:

> Thank you for quick reply. Those are my versions.
>
> address@hidden ~]# libtool --version
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.16 (1.1220.2.235 2005/04/25 18:13:26)
> address@hidden ~]# automake --version
> automake (GNU automake) 1.9.5
>
> So they are not that old. From what you have told me, it won't make any
> difference if I upgrade...

The versions of the tools on your system are irrelevent unless you are
the package's developer, i.e. you are the person that created the source
tarball.  When just building somebody else's source code you are using
whatever version they used to create the package.  That is why Ralf said
"due to the package using".

The normal way that the autotools work is that the distributed tarball
is standalone, i.e. it includes copies of all generated files so that
the user doesn't even need autoconf/automake/libtool installed on their
system.  This means the developer of the package decides what versions
are used, which is normally a good thing.

In your case you might need to regenerate everything, you can normally
do this with "autoreconf --install --force".  Sometimes though it is not
that simple, and in those cases you need to run a script that invokes
the tools in the right order with the right options, usually named
something like "autogen.sh", "bootstrap.sh", etc.

But what you really should do is report the failure to the package's
author so that he/she can address the version disparity (if that indeed
is the problem.)

Brian