Re: dependency_libs?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: dependency_libs?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 10:31:31 +0200

* Andreas Volz wrote on Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:16:44AM CEST:
> Am Tue, 2 May 2006 13:22:54 +0200 schrieb Andreas Volz:
>
> > Perhaps my cross compiler enviroment isn't sane. If I don't use
> > --without-x my hosts X installation is found:

> > checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
>
> Now I found a solution to really prevent linking against X:
>
> [cross compiler environment set]
> ./configure --x-includes=/tmp --x-libraries=/tmp --without-x
>
> The --without-x parameter isn't enough for libtool to assume no X is used.
> Without redirecting both path into a dead space the .la-file has everytime
> the -X* libraries in it. And it couldn't get the -lX* from a transitive .la
> because there's no .la in my cross compiler environment! I don't  understand
> this. Is it a bug in libtool?

To be able to confirm or deny anything here, we would need much more
information.  configure log, build log, contents of all .la files
involved, possibly "libtool --debug --mode=link" output of the
interesting library, ...  (please bzip2 or gzip large attachments).
Probably it's a limitation in the AC_PATH_X module, but for that, I'd
need to see config.log as well, and know the Autoconf version used.

All I can say from a general standpoint is that, if you do not install
the .la files, you take away some functionality for users of your
library.  Yes, libtool has some issues with cross-compilation there, but
in the normal, non-cross-compilation case, even on sane systems, the
Debian link_all_deplibs=no libtool still has bugs that may cause third
party users to link against the wrong installed library, or not find a
user-installed (below $HOME, say) at all.  So please don't recommend it
unless you are also volunteering to attend the bug reports that ensue.
And no, pkg-config does not provide the adequate replacement here.

Yes, we'd like to fix all of that eventually..