Re: dependency_libs?

From: Andreas Volz
Subject: Re: dependency_libs?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:23:40 +0200

Am Wed, 3 May 2006 10:31:31 +0200 schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:

> To be able to confirm or deny anything here, we would need much more
> information.  configure log, build log, contents of all .la files

Ok, at first I show the cross build of freeglut. Here is the packages
configured and build: (log files and .la files included)

http://brachttal.net/tmp/freeglut/freeglut-2.4.0-crosscompiler.tar.bz2

I've applied this patch to build it in my cross compiler environment:

http://brachttal.net/tmp/freeglut/freeglut-2.4.0.patch

and used this wrapper script for configure:

http://brachttal.net/tmp/freeglut/conf_xmingw.sh

So I configured it with:

./conf_xmingw.sh --without-x

I tried also the parameter --enable-shared=no because I build the
static library only, but this doesn't change anything.

> involved, possibly "libtool --debug --mode=link" output of the
> interesting library, ...  (please bzip2 or gzip large attachments).
> Probably it's a limitation in the AC_PATH_X module, but for that, I'd
> need to see config.log as well, and know the Autoconf version used.
>
> All I can say from a general standpoint is that, if you do not install
> the .la files, you take away some functionality for users of your
> library.  Yes, libtool has some issues with cross-compilation there,
> but in the normal, non-cross-compilation case, even on sane systems,
> the Debian link_all_deplibs=no libtool still has bugs that may cause
> third party users to link against the wrong installed library, or not
> find a user-installed (below $HOME, say) at all.  So please don't
> recommend it unless you are also volunteering to attend the bug
> reports that ensue. And no, pkg-config does not provide the adequate
> replacement here.

It seems the mingw environment doesn't provide much .la files. Are this
files on Windows not as usefull as on Linux or UNIX?

> Yes, we'd like to fix all of that eventually..

I hope you could help me. If you need more information or I forgot to
provide any files, than say it.

regards
Andreas