Re: Libtool release plan

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Libtool release plan
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 06:18:31 +0200

Hi Olly,

* Olly Betts wrote on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:48:55AM CEST:
> On 2006-05-10, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> > * Olly Betts wrote on Wed, May 10, 2006 at 04:38:08PM CEST:
>
> > I know Libtool-1.5.24 is important to get out, due to the regressions I
> > put in 1.5.22.  And it will be my primary focus once Autoconf-2.60 is
> > done.  However, there are some other systems that need fixes, HP-UX
> > being one of them;
>
> HP-UX is looking good for me with this patch:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.libtool.general/7076/focus=7083

Yes, but a couple of issues on HP-UX are still pending; and some for w32.
I'll probably attack them in two batches.  (I'm not firm enough with
either of them without some reading and digging; and I may be waiting
for Charles and Bruno to hash out things in their current discussion
on bug-gnu-gettext aka bug-gnu-utils; thanks to Eric for the pointer!)

> Though perhaps there are also problems with features I don't make use
> of.

Not very many, luckily.

> > The good thing being that I expect Autoconf-2.60 to be done this month.
>
> Are the autoconf and libtool trees in a sufficiently stable state that
> it would be useful for me to try building with them to shake out
> problems and help make the upcoming releases better?  If so, what's
> best to use for autoconf - CVS HEAD or the autoconf 2.69c tarball?

Just try CVS HEAD Autoconf; but they are not very far apart.
Be sure to read NEWS (or the 2.59c announcement), though.

> I have a fairly broad collection of automated test builds, and I've just
> made a release so it wouldn't be disruptive to switch the autobuilding
> to use non-release versions of autoconf and libtool:

Feel free, any kind of feedback is helpful.  Esp. we're looking for
packages that are broken by the new Autoconf, so that unintended
incompatibilities can be fixed before the release.