Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 04:45:57 +0200

Hi Alan,

* Alan W. Irwin wrote on Tue, May 16, 2006 at 12:23:00AM CEST:
> On 2006-05-15 06:11+0200 Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >The following is where I stopped at, due to insufficient development
> >packages installed on my system.  Let's see how this works for you.
> >
> [patch followed]
>
> I applied your patch which bootstrapped quite nicely, but did not configure
> properly.  The problem was that lt_ltdl_dir was set to the empty string
> in the configure script so the libltdl directory could not be found.

Ah, yes.  I forgot that part.

> Here is the patch I applied (on top of your patch) to fix that:

Your addon patch looks good to me (untested).

> +  AS_IF([test "$with_ltdlsystem" = no -o "$libltdl_in_system" = no],

BTW, it's more portable to use
  test $one_test || test $another_test

instead of
  test $one_test -o test $another_test

(because of some precedence issues on ancient hosts, -a and -o are not
specified by POSIX).

> I changed over to AS_IF (which made no difference).

It will make a difference (for the better) once you use Autoconf-2.60.

> Then I dropped all
> the legacy calls to AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN, AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE,
> AC_LIBLTDL_INSTALLABLE, and AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, and instead used
> the recommended LTDL_CONVENIENCE (the one I use by default) or
> LTDL_INSTALLABLE, added dlopen to the LT_INIT options lists, and finished
> by invoking LT_WITH_LTDL just as in the CVS libtool.info example.

Good.

> I don't know which of the legacy macros were setting lt_ltdl_dir to
> the empty string, but with the above patch to use the recommended
> macros the resulting configure script sets
>
> lt_ltdl_dir='libltdl'

Noted.  This is a bug in ltdl.m4, as we should strive to provide a
backward compatible setting here.  (Both AC_LIBLTDL_CONVENIENCE and
AC_LIBLTDL_INSTALLABLE caused that setting.)

> which gives the correct ./configure result.  I don't mind a bit if the
> legacy macros don't work.  However, currently most (all?) of the legacy
> macros are not mentioned at all in the CVS version of libtool.info. My own
> feeling is that is a mistake, and a better way to notify others about the
> problem is you should actively warn against using the legacy macros in
> libtool.info.

Well, they should be documented; for most uses, they should even
continue to work.  It should even work to autoupdate from the old to the
new macros (but for that definitely use Autoconf >= 2.59c only).  In any
case, you're right, the documentation should mention the old macros, but
noone got around to fixing that yet.

> Another minor documentation issue is that although libtoolize --help briefly
> documents the new (with CVS libtool) --install option, the CVS version of
> libtool.info does not.

Noted.

Thanks for your feedback!