Re: autoreconf --help

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autoreconf --help
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:16:39 +0200

Hi Olly,

* Olly Betts wrote on Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:56:28PM CEST:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 07:19:57PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > At the same time let's get rid of the
> > CONFIGURE-AC argument we're suggesting there but which didn't work right
> > anyway.  But let's not actually change the functionality, so that what
> > works continues to.  (A bit fragile, I know; I think the long term goal
> > should be to implement that functionality properly, in all autotools;
> > but I don't want to do that now.)
>
> Another approach would be to change autoreconf to just remove any
> filename part - that's easy to explain to the user ("the top-level
> directory or any file in it") and also easy to implement (simply
> s,[^/\\]*$,, on that argument.)

Well, the point is that
  autoreconf subdir/foobar.ac

simply won't cause the called tools to use foobar.ac, but the first that
exists in the list
  subdir/configure.ac
  subdir/configure.in

The file name you pass currently is stripped off as you suggest, but
since it won't be used, I think that it is confusing to document this
unless it is actually used.