Re: Conditional sources in archive libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Conditional sources in archive libraries
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 19:04:35 +0200

Hi Liviu,

* Liviu Nicoara wrote on Tue, May 30, 2006 at 06:59:53PM CEST:

> I am trying to conditionally compile [assembly] sources for my archive
> library. I initially tried:
>
> ## Makefile.am:
>
> lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
> libfoo_la_SOURCES = main.cpp
> EXTRA_libfoo_la_SOURCES = x86.s x86_64.s power5.s
> libfoo_la_LIBADD = $(MY_EXTRA_SOURCES)
> libfoo_la_DEPENDENCIES = $(MY_EXTRA_SOURCES)

Remove the last two lines and add $(MY_EXTRA_SOURCES) to
libfoo_la_SOURCES.

> (I may be wrong about minute details here - I am quoting the code from
> memory.)

If above hint does not work, then please show the failing code, this
time quoting from, well, the code, rather than memory, please.  ;-)

> The workaround for me was to use AM_CONDITIONALs and that worked pretty
> good. But using AM_CONDITIONALs is not as nice as AC_SUBST'ing from
> autoconf.

Both should work.  FWIW, I don't reckon conditionals as less "nice" than
AC_SUBSTed variables.  They allow you to omit the EXTRA_*SOURCES line.