Re: questions about DLLs built with libtool - multiple output files...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: questions about DLLs built with libtool - multiple output files...
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:41:34 +0200

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 03:55:12PM CEST:

> I am very excited to use libtool to generate my library's DLL on
> windows, with the same build tools that work on Unix. I am able to
> remain in my Unix cocoon!

:-)

> However, I don't quite understand the output. The following files are
> created:
>
>   -rw-rw-rw-   1 ed       root  1043050 Jun  1 07:44 libnetcdf.a

The static library.

>   -rw-rw-rw-   1 ed       root   360432 Jun  1 07:44 libnetcdf.dll.a

The import library for the DLL.

>   -rw-rw-rw-   1 ed       root   632482 Jun  1 07:44 cygnetcdf-1.dll

The DLL.

> Also, I seem to recall reading that it was possible to generate dlls
> which either did or did not depend on the cygwin dll being present on
> the machine. True?

Probably easiest if you use the MinGW/MSYS environment.  It should be
possible to "cross-compile" this from a Cygwin setup by passing
  --host=i386-pc-mingw CFLAGS=-mno-cygwin CXXFLAGS=-mno-cygwin ...

I don't recall the exact value for host, nor whether it was necessary
in any case, and may have forgotten other minor details.  I've mostly
just used MinGW itself for compiling stand- alone libraries.

The MinGW home page has a nice FAQ:
http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/FAQ

(There is also good information about this from Cygwin; I can't find it
right now.)