Re: No LT_GLOBAL flag in dlopen on debian?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: No LT_GLOBAL flag in dlopen on debian?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:37:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Tim Furlong wrote:

I've been beating my head against some problems building the libnetdude
package (network traffic handling and manipulation framework) on debian
(stable/sarge with libtool 1.5.6, and testing/woody with libtool 1.5.22).
Specifically, when I build the package from the CVS source and run the
autogen script locally, the libltdl that gets generated by libtoolize
doesn't dlopen modules with the LT_GLOBAL flag set as it does on
FreeBSD 6.1with libtool
1.5.20, FC3 with libtool 1.5.6, and FC4 with libtool 1.5.16. This presents a
problem for this package, as it's using a plugin architecture where the
modules are compiled independently, expecting to be able to look up symbols
exported by other modules at run-time, and I get run-time ld errors if that
flag is not set.  The -export-dynamic flag doesn't appear to work for

For libtool 2.0 the decision was made to not use LT_GLOBAL since it represents non-portable functionality which is not part of the goals of libltdl. Maybe this change also appeared in libtool 1.5.22.

Libltdl is a portability library rather than a full-featured replacement for dlopen() as provided by platform 'X'.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn