Re: No LT_GLOBAL flag in dlopen on debian?

From: Tim Furlong
Subject: Re: No LT_GLOBAL flag in dlopen on debian?
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:30:32 -0400

Hi Bob and Ralf,

Thanks for your responses, that makes sense. Do you happen to know offhand which platforms or families of platforms don't support that functionality?

Much appreciated,
-Tim

On 6/1/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 07:37:51PM CEST:

> For libtool 2.0 the decision was made to not use LT_GLOBAL since it
> represents non-portable functionality which is not part of the goals
> of libltdl.

Right.  Although we know packages where this will cause problems.
Now we know another one.

> Maybe this change also appeared in libtool 1.5.22.

Not in GNU Libtool.  Only in Debian's version.

> Libltdl is a portability library rather than a full-featured
> replacement for dlopen() as provided by platform 'X'.

Well, there are arguments for both choices here.  We could look into
allowing choice here in some way.  (No, I don't have a good idea.)

Tim Furlong
address@hidden