Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:37:04 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: LT_* equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?, Bob Friesenhahn said...:

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, Tim Mooney wrote:

This seems like it should be an obvious question, but I'm not finding any
obvious answers in either the libtool or autoconf documentation.

Is there a libtool-aware equivalent to AC_CHECK_LIB?  In other words, if I
want to check for foo_amazing_func() in libfoo, and libfoo was built with
libtool (and the libfoo.la is hopefully installed on the system), is there
an extant macro something like LT_CHECK_LIB(foo,foo_amazing_func) that
will try find foo_amazing_func() in libfoo *and* will pull in all the
necessary dependencies for libfoo, automatically?

I don't believe there is. Autoconf can not depend on libtool, so Autoconf should not provide such a macro, but it certainly makes sense for libtool to provide a LT_CHECK_LIB as you describe. A challenge is that in libtool 2.0, the libtool script is not generated until the end of the configure script run (an `enhancement' in 2.0) so it is not available for use. The macro would need to emulate the operation of libtool since libtool is not available yet.

Thanks Bob.  It seems like this is one area where pkg-config provides
useful functionality that libtool could but doesn't currently.  I would
prefer to avoid pkg-config, mainly because it introduces another
dependency.

I haven't looked at the upcoming libtool 2.0 much, and I'm sure there's a
very good reason for delaying the generation of libtool until the end of
the configure run, but it does appear that it's unfortunate from the
aspect of creating a macro like the one we're talking about.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden