Relative paths in *_LDADD vs absolute paths in .la dependencies

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Relative paths in *_LDADD vs absolute paths in .la dependencies
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:39:10 +0000 (UTC)

With a fairly recent CVS HEAD libtool (but I see the same with 1.5.8)
the following command:

/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -o quartzcheck \
    quartzcheck-quartzcheck.o ../testsuite/libbtreecheck.la ../libxapian.la

causes libtool to execute (my wrapping):

g++ -o .libs/quartzcheck quartzcheck-quartzcheck.o \
    ../testsuite/.libs/libbtreecheck.a \
    /s2/olly/svn/xapian/xapian-core/.libs/libxapian.so ../.libs/libxapian.so \
    -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/u1/olly/install/lib

The full path to libxapian.so comes from libbtreecheck.la's
dependencies, while the relative path (which leads to the same files)
comes from the link line.

I think this is mostly a cosmetic problem, except that it probably
causes the linker more work unless it realises the two libxapian.so's
are actually the same.

Is there a way to avoid this happening - e.g. are paths to .la files
specified in LDADD meant to be absolute rather than relative?  I'd
rather not remove the explicit mention of libxapian.la from
quartzcheck_LDADD since it's really an implementation detail of
libbtreecheck.la that it depends on libxapian.la.

Cheers,
    Olly