Re: Building libgpg-error on OS X 10.4

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Building libgpg-error on OS X 10.4
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 20:46:59 +0200

Hi,

(please keep the CC's intact on reply)

it seems that the libtool+gettext+automake machinery does not work
perfectly for libraries using gettext.  If you use
--with-included-gettext, then a static version of libintl will be
built, and LTLIBINTL is set to the static library.  But linking a
static library with a shared library is not guaranteed to work.  In
fact, it gives a warning.  Moreover, it actually fails on Mac OS X due
to missing -fno-common (because the static library is not built as
PIC).

So, the question is, is there any solution to this, beside advising
Mac OS X users to never use the included gettext, but link dynamically
to an external gettext implementation?

Thanks,
Marcus