Re: Compiling with MinGW

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: Compiling with MinGW
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 22:12:42 +0200

Matthew McGillis wrote:
> found that by simply
> editing the libtool used in both of the above cases and adding:
>
>          case $deplib in
>            /home*) deplib="c:/cygwin"$deplib;;
>          esac

> I was able to complete the compiles and generate a version of
> wvware-1.2.1 that worked standalone on windows.

You appear to be using mingw as a development environment. I don't know
whether libtool supports that.

I use a recent cygwin as the development environment, and mingw only as
the deployment environment. In this setting, I can build gettext-0.15
out of the box, without problems. Here is the command that I use:

   CPPFLAGS="-mno-cygwin -Wall -I/usr/local/mingw/include" \
   CFLAGS="-mno-cygwin -O2 -g" \
   CXXFLAGS="-mno-cygwin -O2 -g" \
   LDFLAGS="-mno-cygwin -L/usr/local/mingw/lib" \
   ./configure --host=i586-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/mingw

Why would anyone want to use mingw as a development environment?
Maybe end-users cannot learn to write "/cygdrive/c/" for "c:\". But
developers certainly can.

Apologies for having used the term "mingw development environment"
in gettext/README.woe32; I didn't know that mingw as a development
environment has problems like the one you cite.

Bruno