Re: hardcode properties?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: hardcode properties?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:03:54 +0200

* Patrick Welche wrote on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 03:11:26PM CEST:
> > Yes.  Please send
> >   ../../libtool --config
> >   ../../libtool --debug --mode=link ...(rest of link line)...
>
> OK - attached..

I asked Patrick some stupid questions off-list to hash this out.
The gist seems that
- the package in question uses (at least parts of) gettext by
  using the AM_ICONV macro,
- in his CVS checkout of freetds, the config.rpath file was lacking
  (presumably because the autogen.sh script lacks a `gettextize'
  call),
- thus the configure script could not find config.rpath, would warn
  about this, go on, and in the process reset some variables related
  to hardcoding,

- adding a config.rpath file seems to have fixed the issue.

* Patrick Welche wrote on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 06:53:26PM CEST:

> Do you know what config.rpath is trying to achieve?

It's basically a part of the Libtool configury, factored out in a
separate script, to make it available to some macros that are
distributed with gettext and gnulib, and that may be used for portably
hardcoding run paths for programs, while not needing all of Libtool's
macros.  (I don't know if there is a way to not need config.rpath in the
case where Libtool is used anyway, but it would seem like a good idea,
in order to avoid spurious differences between them.)