Re: libraries and namespaces

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: libraries and namespaces
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 19:00:31 +0200

Hello Ralf,

> Slightly related question: are you planning on providing a means to
> automatically rename gnulib functions to a library-specific namespace?
> As long as there is no policy on interface stability for gnulib, I would
> fear to see lots of libraries floating around that all carry some
> slightly incompatible version of some rather common symbol name around;
> when such issues arise, they tend to be a pain to debug.

There is a problem only for documented libraries and for dependent libraries
of documented libraries.

Would you recommend to rename the functions at the C source code level?
Through #defines or asm directives? Or are there solutions at library
level? For example is it possible for a library A to export a symbol S,
such that when B depends on A and C depends on B, B can use S, but C cannot?

Bruno