Re: cygwin convenience library -dlpreopen installation

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: cygwin convenience library -dlpreopen installation
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 08:30:20 +0200

* Eric Blake wrote on Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 10:31:06PM CEST:

> >> Either -dlpreopen should make m4.exe link against the static version
> >> of those libraries (so it does not depend on the convenience .dll
> >> existing in PATH),
> >
> > That is what -dlpreopen is documented to do.  -dlopen should use the
> > static versions only when shared libs are not available, e.g., due to
> > --disable-shared or some other reason.
>
> Then perhaps the right fix is making -dlpreopen on Windows be a key that
> the convenience library .dll must be installed alongside the final image
> in PATH.

No.  It should not link against the dll at all.  It should use the
static archive.  Problem with paths solved (for this case).

Unless Somebody intended -dlpreopen to be completely different from
what the documentation says; then they should speak up and fix the
documentation.

Bummer is that we may still have to think about the path issue in the
--disable-static case, as we may not have a static library available.
In that case your suggestion of linking dlls from any extra path into
bindir sounds like an idea -- ugly as hell, but that would fit just
right for w32.  ;->