Re: deploying libraries and executables from a staging area

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: deploying libraries and executables from a staging area
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:36:45 -0500

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:18:08PM -0700, Noel Yap wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Albert Chin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 03:32:58PM -0700, Noel Yap wrote:
> >> What are the proper incantations to deploy libraries and executables
> >> from a staging area (such that the rpath correctly points to the
> >> deployment area)?
> >>
> >> The following doesn't seem to work:
> >>
> >>            ./libtool --mode=install install ${la} ${destination}/lib/${l}
> >>            ./libtool --mode=finish ${destination}/lib/${l}
> >>
> >>            ./libtool --mode=install install ${exe}
> >${destination}/bin/${x}
> >>            ./libtool --mode=finish ${destination}/bin/${x}
> >
> >Look at the libtool documentation for -inst-prefix and DESTDIR.
>
> I read that documentation.  It's not that clear to someone new to
> libtool and automake especially since the canonical way to release the
> product is via configure and make.

I think DESTDIR is to be thought of as a virtual root. I don't know if
this mimics what you want. So, if you:
  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
and you want it installed to the "/nfs/stage1" staging directory,
you'd:
  $ make install DESTDIR=/nfs/stage1

>From my reading of DESTDIR in the libtool manual, this should install
the software in /nfs/stage1/usr/local, with the RPATH configured for
/usr/local.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)