Re: cannot install...to a directory not ending in

From: Jeff Blaine
Subject: Re: cannot install...to a directory not ending in
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:30:42 -0400

Hi Ralf and Ed,

Ed's description of the problem is what I am experiencing.
We use VECT (aka "CMU's EMT Rewritten and made "Lite") for
release management of apps.  Written by yours truly :)

http://vect.sourceforge.net/

Anyway, it's the same problematic idea as Stow's.

I will try --with-libdir, however I'm immediately concerned
that it's going to cause an additional problem:  We don't
want anything we build for /dest to have any references
to /dest/stow/<package>-<package version> (to use Ed's
example).  We often gather up /dest in a tarball to drop
onto non-networked machines, for example.  They exist :)

I bet building gcc (for example) with --with-libdir=
is going to cause that.

Ralf - sorry I came across so frustrated.  I just hate when
tools stop me from doing what I know is correct.  That is,
yes, once the app is released, the libraries *will* live
where libtool wants them.  Just let me install them elsewhere
and handle it.  As for an appropriate solution (assuming
--with-libdir doesn't turn out to be a royal pain to get
going), I'd be happy with any environmental flag that
would turn those 'fatal errors' into warnings.

Edward Maros wrote:
I believe the problem being described here is one that I have encountered also since I use stow for package management. A long time ago, it use to be the case you could say:

./configure --prefix=/dest
make
make prefix=/dest/stow/<package>-<package version> install

even if the package installed shared objects.

With more recent versions of libtool, I have had to add the --with-libdir=/dest/stow/<package>-<package version>/lib to allow proper installation.

Ed

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Hello Jeff,