Re: cannot install...to a directory not ending in

From: Jeff Blaine
Subject: Re: cannot install...to a directory not ending in
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:26:07 -0400

I tried DESTDIR.  It doesn't do what I want.  If I specify

    % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
    % make
    % make install DESTDIR=/blah/blah

...then the install process builds out /blah/blah/usr/local.
We can't use that.

Let me explain better what it is I am doing.

The players that are relevant to this particular issue:

1.  /afs/blah/dest/sun4x_59/local/bison/1875

    The installed destination for a bison build.  We build
    everything as follows, and always have:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
        make
        make install prefix=/afs/blah/dest/sun4x_59/local/bison/1875

    After that build, /afs/blah/dest/sun4x_59/local/bison/1875
    looks like:

        % ls
        bin/    info/   lib/    man/    share/
        %

    Disregard that I am using bison as an example.  It's only
    an example.

2.  /afs/blah/gamma/sun4x_59/local

    Our software repository for Solaris 9.  It looks like any
    other common "/usr/local" tree.  It has bin, lib, man,
    libexec, etc, and others.  These directories are populated
    with whatever apps have been built and released so far.

    What you also need to know is that there is a step used to
    populate this area.  That step gathers ALL of the "item 1
    above" areas and folds them into a single "/usr/local like"
    item (/afs/blah/gamma/sun4x_59/local).

3.  /usr/local

    A simple user interface to our software repository.
    It is a symlink to /afs/blah/gamma/sun4x_59/local

I'm not in any way suggesting that you have changed something
in libtool recently that has broken this.  We have had trouble
with it for a long long time.  I think the use of libtool by
apps is just starting to reach a final critical point for us
and I'm forced to figure this out finally.  I couldn't begin
to tell you how I've fixed it before.  If I had to guess, I
bet I spent a half hour doing various things by hand.

For now, I will have to use --with-libdir and give that a shot
even though it is not workable for us in the medium-to-long
run.  I'll have to rebuild a bunch of things down the road
if libtool is changed to work with the situation above, but
I have no choice right now.  I have apps that need to be
built and released... last week.

I don't see anything in the previous thread that addresses this.

I don't mind being forced to run libtool with special options
nowadays, if I have to, in order to get everything straightened
out and happy.  As it is, libtool *stops* me in my tracks by
refusing to proceed because it doesn't like what I told it to
do (make install prefix=/some/new/place).