Re: DESTDIR, relink dependent lib, RPM and AIX

From: Jaimon Jose
Subject: Re: DESTDIR, relink dependent lib, RPM and AIX
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:20:46 +0530

Hi Ralf,

Ralf Wildenhues wrote the following on 10/10/2006 12:15 AM:
> Unless you find out whether the failure is the same as in the other case
> or different (which can depend on a number of details such as the
> dependency graph structure, whether you're using runtimelinking, and
> some more), or check whether your issue hasn't been fixed in CVS HEAD of
> Libtool yet, or at least enable us to check, it's difficult to say any
> more.  A reproducible example is much better than guesses about code
> changes, or a (packed) --debug output of the relink would help as well.

I found the change you mentioned in the daily CVS snpashot ( 2.1a).  In
AIX, linker is expecting a temporary link file when there are large
number of object files need to be linked.  There seems to be an error in
the libtool.m4 where this variables are defined.  The following change
seems to be working fine.
4326c4326
<       _LT_TAGVAR(file_list_spec, $1)='${wl}-f,'
---
>       _LT_TAGVAR(file_list_spec, $1)='${wl}-f'

There shouldn't be a ',' after the -f

I also tried your current change in the 1.5.22 branch.  I found that
install with a DESTDIR works fine if I introduce the variable
hardcode_direct_absolute and change ltmain.sh as follows.
2744,2745c2744
<           if test "$hardcode_direct" = yes &&
<                       test "$hardcode_direct_absolute" = no ; then
---
>           if test "$hardcode_direct" = yes; then

Please let me know if these changes are correct.  Thanks for your help

--jaimon