Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++

From: Mike Hearn
Subject: Re: libtool/ltmain linking wrong stdc++
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:19:40 -0700

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:36:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> what you want to do just wont work regardless of the issue you raise below
> gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4 have incompatible ABI's so you cannot mix things built
> with the two compilers as you'll just end up with some things using
> libstdc++.so.5 while others use libstdc++.so.6

This is the point behind the binary-delta solution - at runtime there will
only be one libstdc++ on the system and in use. The *only* thing we need
to control here is the contents of the DT_NEEDED header, the rest is
handled automatically. It took some time before we settled on this
solution but it is the only one that will work, as you observe.

I know what failures caused by mixed libstdc++ versions look
like, as I've debugged them before. We have already tested this
setup in build systems without libtool and it does work.

thanks -mike