Re: interdependent shared library problem

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: Re: interdependent shared library problem
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:17:42 +0100

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:17:54PM -0500, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:53:41PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > With CVS autotools of this month I am getting in a pickle trying
> > to build a program which depends on a shared library which depends
> > on a shared library. This is on NetBSD which uses rpath. An example
> > based on one from autobook is attached which builds
> >
> >   hello -> libhello -> (libSM,libICE)
> >
> > .libs/libhello.so seems fine (objdump -x):
> >
> >   NEEDED      libSM.so.6
> >   NEEDED      libICE.so.6
> >   SONAME      libhello.so.0
> >   RPATH       /usr/X11R6/lib
> >
> > but the binary .libs/hello seems less happy:
> >
> >   NEEDED      libhello.so.0
> >   NEEDED      libSM.so.6
> >   NEEDED      libICE.so.6
> >   NEEDED      libc.so.12
> >   RPATH       /usr/local/lib
>
> What does the dependency_libs variable in libhello.la look like? Does
> an ldd on libhello.so.0 find the correct libraries?

libhello.so is fine.

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' -R/usr/X11R6/lib  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE'
.libs/libhello.so:
        -lICE.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6
        -lSM.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6

> Because /usr/X11R6/lib isn't in the default set of paths searched by
> the loader?

/usr/X11R6/lib doesn't need to be in the default set of paths searched
by the loader. As I mentioned, with a different compile line to the one
generated by libtool, I have a working hello. The problem is that the
binary created by libtool contains the dependencies of the shared the
library rather than just depending on the shared library.

Cheers,

Patrick