Re: m4/bootstrap

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: m4/bootstrap
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:00:50 +0100

Hello Bruno, Eric,

* Eric Blake wrote on Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 06:55:53AM CET:
> According to Bruno Haible on 11/1/2006 1:07 PM:
> >
> > When I invoke "./bootstrap -p no" in the savannah m4 CVS (HEAD), I get
> > finally
[...]
> > autoreconf: running: autoconf --force
> > configure:5222: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_SHARED

> > The reason is that I don't have libtool installed, hence libtool.m4 is not
> > copied into m4/ltdl/m4/, hence ltdl/m4/debug.m4 is not satisfied.

> >   - Include libtool.m4 in m4/ltdl/m4/,
> >   - Add libtool.m4 to gnulib (and make gnulib-tool into a substitute for
> >     libtoolize),
> >   - Force the CVS user to have libtool installed with the same --prefix as
> >     automake.

- Install Libtool.  Fix your $automake_prefix/share/aclocal/dirlist file
  so that aclocal finds libtool's files, and $PATH so that it contains
  libtoolize.  CVS Libtool has means in place to tell apart version
  inconsistencies.

I'm not in favor of merging libtool into gnulib, and I would prefer if
you would not "force" CVS users.  The added inconvenience would make me
stop testing CVS M4 with CVS Libtool.