Re: m4/bootstrap

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: m4/bootstrap
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:33:56 +0100

* Bruno Haible wrote on Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 02:20:31PM CET:

>   # This script bootstraps a CVS checkout of GNU M4 by correctly
>   # calling out to parts of the GNU Build Platform.  Currently this
> ! # requires GNU Autoconf 2.60, GNU Automake 1.9.6, GNU Libtool 1.5.22

IIRC CVS HEAD M4 does not operate correctly in all cases with Libtool
1.5.22.  I may remember wrongly, though.

> ! # (either installed with the same --prefix as Automake, or made accessible
> ! # to aclocal's search path through $AUTOMAKE_PREFIX/share/aclocal/dirlist),
> ! # and bleeding edge CVS snapshots of GNU Gnulib.

But this isn't anything new, nor particularly tied to Libtool.  If you
need aclocal to find third-party macros, you must point it to them.

By the way, M4's bootstrap script could just as well invoke
  libtoolize --ltdl=ltdl --install --copy --force

and the above aclocal-related change would not be necessary.  Why
doesn't it do that?