Re: Absolute paths generated by libtool.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Absolute paths generated by libtool.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:37:00 +0100

* Benoit Sigoure wrote on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:27:13AM CET:
> Quoting Eric Blake <address@hidden>:
> >According to Benoit Sigoure on 11/14/2006 9:35 AM:
> >
> >Have you tried writing the makefile with forward slashes?  Windows tends
> >to do all right with them, in spite of the fact that they are not the
> >documented directory separator.
>
> Yes, I know this works. Unfortunately, some bits of the Makefiles come from
> Qmake which is definitively targetting a mingw env.

So file a bug report with Qmake, and/or work around it in your M4
macros.

> If simply passing -mno-cygwin to gcc is exactly like using mingw gcc,

No, e.g., for path handling reasons already stated, this is already
wrong.  Also note that techincally you're cross-compiling, so you need
--host, and will encounter some more fun.

> By the way (that's slightly out of topic) my next target is to get it to
> work with VC++ (sigh!). Will automake/autoconf and especially libtool
> support vc++?

Forget about spaces in paths.  Grab CVS Libtool, search for the last
version of Peter Ekberg's Libtool patches for MSVC on this (or the
libtool-patches) list.  Alternatively, there's wgcc with its set of
Libtool patches, also to be found in this list's archive.  Neither patch
is currently part of Libtool as both cause regressions for unrelated
systems.

Hope that helps.