Found process taking too much CPU: libtool

From: Ulmo
Subject: Found process taking too much CPU: libtool
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:48:31 -0800

My system has slowed to a dog lately, and I found the culprit:
libtool.

In "top", the process "sh" sits there for ages upon ages -- many hours
(possibly days) total during builds.  I almost never see gcc.  When I
see what process is running "sh", it is libtool.

You need to create a portable C version of libtool.  Libtool has
become an abomination before I even know what it is.  I don't care
what it is or what it accomplishes; I'm sure it's important, but
whatever it is, it can be done in C, rather than shell scripts.

I skimmed the home page.  It said portable.  C is portable.  Do it in
C.  I'm sure C is more portable than sh.  Regardless of how
religiously and/or politically correct C vs. sh is, libtool cannot any
longer be in sh because it is way, way, way, way, way, way too slow.

Sincerely,
Brad Allen <address@hidden>