Re: Found process taking too much CPU: libtool

From: Brad Allen
Subject: Re: Found process taking too much CPU: libtool
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:59:09 -0800

Bob Friesenhahn:
" On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 address@hidden wrote:
" > My system has slowed to a dog lately, and I found the culprit:
" > libtool.
"
" What version of libtool is being used?

Is libtool packaged with each package?  Then the version is dependent
upon whatever is most recently used with each package.  I checked the
libtool site after posting this and realized libtool is not changing
much lately, so hopefully it doesn't matter.

$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)

$

I also checked a host at my ISP that is almost never updated; it
indeed has an older version.

" What operating system and CPU are being used?

Gnu/Linux/Gentoo, P4.

" The development version of libtool is considerably faster than
" earlier versions.

How developmental?  Is it in 1.5.22?  Can it be used for existing
builds or do I have to hand-integrate it for each build?  I could
answer all these questions myself if I had more time, I know.

I was thinking of the best ways to improve libtool speed.  Besides
converting it all to C (especially since gcc is so much faster now), a
"jit" compiler for shell script might have been a good idea if it were
not for the fact that shell scripts use expensive external programs
for extremely trivial operations (that often aren't even necessary in
C, so not even a single CPU cycle for something that in shell land
takes millions of cycles and thousands of disk accesses).