Re: Re: libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /us

From: Perrog
Subject: Re: Re: libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/local/expat/2.0.1/lib'
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 05:14:17 +0100

Thanks for the help, Ralf!

2006/12/8, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:
Hello Perrog,

* Perrog wrote on Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:41:20AM CET:

[...]
> $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/expat/2.0.1
> $ make
> $ sudo make install prefix=/usr/local
>
> Obviously, "make install prefix=/usr/local" forgets to update
> libexpat.la.

Correct.  Libtool violates the GNU Coding Standards in this regard.
There is a (weak) reason: in some situations, paths are hard-coded
in the library (and not only the text file).  I don't know a good
way to write an efficient portable Makefile that would detect user
overrides of 'prefix' at install time and relink in that case.

Sounds like some kind of limitation in make system and not particular
libtool; make cannot detect portion of changes inside the file, it
just checks modification date. C.p. the issue with Sun's Java make
tool, http://www.experimentalstuff.com/Technologies/JavaMake/index.html