Re: export_symbols_cmds erroneously expanded

From: Charles Wilson
Subject: Re: export_symbols_cmds erroneously expanded
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:58:56 -0500

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:36:56 +0100, "Ralf Wildenhues"
<address@hidden> said:
> Hello Charles,
>
> Thanks for the bug report.
>
> > [[ bug report and export_filter variable "fix" snipped ]]
>
> The above looks like a cleaner approach to me than the second one you
> offer; but it means we'd need to change the definition of
> export_symbols_cmds for each and every system, not just Cygin/MinGW.

Yes, I figured that.  I believe it would also be true for the other
solution, as well.  The problem is we need to expand *part* of cmd, but
not *all* of it -- and this is true on every system and every tag,
including the default definition of export_symbols_cmds.

> (There is no need for two sed scripts here, by the way, one would be
> just fine.)

That particular expression is already written as two sed invokations;
merging to one invokation would be fine, but since that's not germane to
the problem here I didn't bother.

> Another thing that worries me is I'm pretty certain the use of
> export_symbols_cmds in the too-many-objects case will cause another,
> differently-looking failure.  IOW, tests for both use cases are needed.

You're probably right.

> I can look into this in a couple of days probably.

Cool -- I'd appreciate your efforts [*].  I'm going to go ahead, for
cygwin, and do a quickie release of 'libtool1.5-1.5.23a-2' (still branch
1.5, still 20061014 checkout) but with your --version patch
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2006-12/msg00015.html) and
the quick-n-dirty DOTSTAR "fix" for this bug assuming it passes the
testsuite (as well as 1.5.23a-1 did).  [Why? Cause it works, and I
personally need a properly symbol-exported pcre Right Now...]

[*] I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of adding a new LT_TAG_VAR
variable -- I'm not sure what all the ramifications are and I'm afraid
I'll miss some fiddly little but critically necessary item to 'make it
all work' -- which is why I'm happy to leave this to an expert.  But
I'll be glad to test any patch you generate...

Then I'll update cygwin's official release to a new -D date on branch
1.5 with your changes.

Cruddy DOTSTAR patch attached

--
Chuck