Re: libtool related build questions

From: Christopher Hulbert
Subject: Re: libtool related build questions
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:11:20 -0500

On 12/14/06, Bob Rossi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 07:11:08PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > What exactly can I do about the libtool warning messages?
>
> These?

Yup,

> >   *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
/home/bobbybrasko/log4cxx/apr-util/src/prefixdir/lib/libaprutil.la.
> >   *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> >   *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> >   *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>
> They are sometimes bogus.  Nobody has gotten around to fixing that yet.

I used to get these a lot. I link shared libraries (Matlab MEX
functions) against my static libraries. To fix this, I patch libtool
after configure using this line in configure.ac and the following
shell script. I have not removed this, so I'm not sure if the most
recent libtool still issues these warnings and refuses to build the
shared libraries.

AC_CONFIG_COMMANDS([libtool_patch],[chmod 755
patch_libtool.sh;./patch_libtool.sh])

#! /bin/bash
mv libtool libtool.orig
cat libtool.orig | sed -e
"s/deplibs_check_method=.*/deplibs_check_method=pass_all/g" > libtool
chmod 755 libtool