Re: libtool related build questions

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool related build questions
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:30:49 +0100

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 08:11:20PM CET:

> >/home/bobbybrasko/log4cxx/apr-util/src/prefixdir/lib/libaprutil.la.
> >when
> >>
> >> They are sometimes bogus.  Nobody has gotten around to fixing that yet.
>
> I used to get these a lot.

They are very very likely _not_ bogus in your case, and your case very
very likely has nothing whatsoever to do with Bob's.  Linking shared
libraries against static ones is a bad idea in general, and most often a
hack.

IIRC the warning was bogusly output sometimes when the "static" library
really was a convenience archive.  And there are cases on w32 systems
where you simply have to link against static libraries in some cases.

> I have not removed this, so I'm not sure if the most recent libtool
> still issues these warnings and refuses to build the shared libraries.

Wait until you move from you GNU Linux/x86 to a x86_64 one, for example
(I'm guessing here; please correct me if wrong), to see your setup blow
up.

Hope that helps.